Monday, January 20, 2014

Bad day, good lesson.

          I'm just going to get straight to the point. TODAY ABSOLUTELY SUCKED! Just to be quite plain. Our girls soccer team has an upcoming tournament in Quito this weekend which I was and am so excited for but, all my excitement kind of diminished when I hurt my leg really bad. I'm pretty sure I pulled a muscle or over stretched a ham string but for any of you that play sports or do dance you know that playing hard and a sports injury or set back don't go comfortably together. So all the weekend I was trying to do hot and cold on it and take ibuprofen and anything I could to heal it as fast as possible (because there is no way in heck i want to be sitting on the bench the whole time) so I got there today feeling a lot better and then it started hurting again as soon as I had finished a couple laps around the field. You can imagine my utter joy. Joy. Not. I was sooo disappointed  and so upset because I need to practice but how am I going to without a good leg to practice on? While that was all very distressing I had already been having some other problems, big small, a big dirty moth landing on my uniform shirt and getting it all muddy, and then of course the car running out of gas the minute my mom pulled in front of the school (At least she made it there instead of the highway) and having to wait for almost an hour and a half in the hot humid "Paradisaical" air. All just seemed to add to my frustration. Today, being somewhat discrete was what I would call a no good very bad day.
         After coming home and moping for a couple hours and watching the news and all the problems going on in my country, from health care to super bowl play offs my mom finally decided that we should have family night. At first i really didn't want to and then finally I just gave in and listened. During our little family my mom had just opened the Liahona magazine and flipped through it to find a little story we could read and she stumbled upon the perfect one. One that had to do with dealing with adversity and the troubles of life. What a coincidence huh? (Not at all.) So as she was reading it, it talked about the stories of Job from the bible and that of Joseph Smith. Job, having been highly blessed by the lord, and a very righteous servant when he was put to the test. Satan had gone to God and told him let me take away all you have given him, surely then he will not be so righteous, but as we see is many times the case, Satan was wrong. Heavenly Father let Satan take away all of Job's things. Job lost his wife, his children died, he lost all of his possesions and he began to have a skin disease. All his "friends" told him that God was doing this to him because he was a wicked man and because he had wronged but of course he had not. He was one of God's most righteous, faithful servants. If then he was not wicked.. why had God let these things happen? Well, as it happened, Job stayed righteous and worshiped God, despite of all of his dispositions. He loved the lord and didn't turn away from him. He had turned an opportunity to turn bitter into an opportunity to grow and become stronger, and prove himself to the lord. For doing this he was blessed, and his dispositions or so we would see them, were no dispositions at all. 
         Next, we have the story of the Prophet Joseph Smith who was judged, persecuted, hated and tortured most of his life. One of the biggest events that we as Latter Day Saints hear about was the event in which he was taken to Liberty Jail in Missouri. A basement like room, stingy with dirt floors and no access to anything outside. Joseph pleaded with the lord to take him out of there, to avenge his enemies and those who had wronged him, taken him away from his wife and family and those who had persecuted him for doing what he knew to be right. Although that way would have been less painful and hard for Joseph, the lord did not take away his situation. He left it as it was. And for why? Why would he let his children suffer like that? Why would he let his own prophet, endure the harshness of the enemy that imprisoned him? In a talk many, many, many years later given by one of our prophets today, Elder Holland said that the prison Joseph was in had turned into a temple and a holy place instead of only a prison. How could that possibly be? It could be because the lord let Joseph suffer so that he could learn and grow, so that he could become stronger and receive inspirations and teachings that he might not otherwise get in the comfort of his warm home in the company of his warm, loving family. How could he have learned those lessons in such circumstances? He couldn't have. He had to go out and learn and see and feel for himself, to be softened and purified by fire so to speak. Crystals are not made beautiful by soaking in water or sitting in the nicely conditioned cave, they must be put through fire and chisled at to form the beautiful things we see in necklaces and in rings and in museums around the world. These diamonds are beautiful because of the heat and pressure they underwent to become that way. 
       Now, think of me. I left my home in Bountiful, Utah, where my family could come and rescue me (as I addressed last week) where I could have access to everything I needed whenever and wherever and did not have to worry about feeling like the odd one out. Sure I had trials but nothing like I have experienced here.This is a situation in which I am being formed and crafted into a diamond. Things may come my way in the future that I would not otherwise be able to stand were it not for these experiences. Today was horrible, but not for no reason. There were something I needed to learn.(obviously) This 'Liberty Jail' I was in today made me ask the lord "Why, why do you let these things happen to me? Why do you let me feel pain over, and over again. Why? Why? Why?" The answer can be found in D&C 121: 7-8 and 122: 7 Where they say: 1st one: 7." My son (daughter), peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;" 8. "And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." (That could mean literal people or hard things) 7. "... And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if feirce winds become thine enemy.... know thou my son (daughter) that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."
          I learned today that no matter what happens, I just need to have faith and trust heavenly father that, everything that is happening will be for my good and that if i just have patience and do all my part and everything that I can he will help me and do the rest. 2 Nephi 25: 23 - "...for we know that it is by grace that  we are saved, after all we can do." I am going to keep trying and praying and hoping that my leg gets better but I have learned, Heavenly Father isn't going to take it away right away, there is something I need to learn first and I still need to do all that I can do, weather it be being positive or trying everything I can to heal my leg I need to do all I can do and then he will help me with the rest. I will write again soon and let you know how things turn out. :) Have a wonderful week and remember that we are all learning, we all make mistakes and we all go through these times, but, we will all most definitely be alright. 
It's a good reminder that God doesn't call us to be comfortable, but obedient. It also reminds me that no matter what I'm going through, He has a purpose
Bruce Lee
Adversity.  From having more money available in a savings account to having marketable skills and an education during an economic downturn, having a degree can come in handy when life throws you a curve.#RasSpirit
So need to remember this when I'm having tough times.  Quote from Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "It is often in the trial of adversity that we learn those most critical lessons that form our character and shape our destiny." Created by familybringsjoy.com
MLM Leadership Development | As an MLM leader we need to be able to learn from our mistakes and the adversity that life throws us. Are you opened minded when adversity raises it's ugly head?

No comments:

Post a Comment